Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sach A Legend !

As soon as the countdown of his final innings began, the whole world glued their eyes before television sets to cheer for the master blaster one last time. This rage intrigued me and I took my remote to tune into live telecast on star cricket. I was mesmerized to find that the crowd has turned up in zillions for the match which is unlikely to happen for a Test cricket. All were shouting ‘sachin..sachin in unison. The feeling of not cheering for him since long time left me bereft. I sequestered myself from the jamboree and cursed internally, “Why I am not a Sachin fan?”

I recollect watching him as a kid somewhere around 1996; his first identity for me was a captain of the Indian team. I reminisce India would grab very few wins under his captaincy then; because the whole team would collapse akin to house of cards soon after his dismissal. Sometimes his century too would be a fruitless effort towards winning. Being an infant I didn't like to loose and this made me support teams of South Africa or Australia; who then dominated of 20th century world cricket. At times my friends would even call me a traitor if I would support South Africa in any of its matches against India. However, this insanity last for minuscule time.

After the poor performance of Indian team in 1999 world cup, sachin resigned and Sourav Ganguly took the captain-ship. In real terms he paved the way for Indian dominance over world cricket and with the vicissitudes of time I too understood what it means to cheer for India. In 2003 World Cup, India reached final but lost disastrously to Australia. Nevertheless, Sachin Tendulkar was crowned Man of the tournament. This was the first time in my life I become conscious of his kingship over the kingdom of world cricket.


To be acquainted with his glory further, I recollect watching a short series called ‘legends’ on star sports channel which is on the similar lines of today's ‘Jai ho’ of Star sports. At Karachi in November 1989 aging just 16 years and 223 day, he made his debut in a test series against Pakistan. He got badly wounded in an over by a seamer, Waqar younis; yet, he declined medical assistance and instead stayed on the ground. His counter attack is still cherished as a phenomenon cricket as sums of boundaries bombarded with the speed of light and crossed expeditiously over that outfield. Perhaps, at that time no one would have augured that this little boy would turn Little Master’ one day.


I always have wondered what it takes to be a Master Blaster. I reckon it has more to do with his love of labor in the nets which seldom goes inconspicuous in the shadow of his tons.  In his earlier days, if he turns out to be exhausted; his coach Achrekar sir would put a one-rupee coin on the top of the stumps, and the bowler who dismissed him would get that coin. If Tendulkar passed the whole session without getting dismissed, the coach would else give him the coin. He earned 13 such silver coins which in the long run of 79 ODIs turned gold, when he scored his first ODI century on 9th September 1994 against Australia in Sri Lanka at Colombo and the rest is history.

His thirst for cricket knew no bounds. A centurion enlisting 100 (51 Test & 49 ODI) centuries is beyond the ken of a human being. However, It would be rather illegitimate if we try to cage his name by statistical data. He has always remained aloof of controversies, never allowed success enter his head. During 24 years of his magnificent career many things have changed. Media, Bollywood, Music, science, androids, Superbikes and with the t20 format even the cricket itself! But what didn't change is a cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar. Time will keep moving, many sports personalities will come but never in a world a day exist when another sachin will rise; For he has always kept cricket above his life. May be that is why the world has baptized him with ‘The GOD of Cricket'


Yesterday, when I again tuned to see him bat for one last time he was the same 16 years lad enjoying his game. The same square cut through gaps, the same straight drive towards pavilion, and the same sweep across mid-field; His touch, grace and artistry on every single delivery reminded me of each legendary innings, through which he has been giving 125 billion of Indians a reason to celebrate and rejoice. Today, when he was signing-off with his final words, I could see those happy tears in the eyes of all the fans in the stadium. In so doing, I realized what it means to be a fan of sachin. For today I thought ‘Fan’ is a small word for him. People are perhaps his devotees. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar is the name written with golden letters in the history of world cricket.

When he uttered his last word ‘good-bye’ I stood to took a bow while a tear rolled down through my eyes and my heart exclaimed…
Sach A legend !


No comments:

Post a Comment